Feb 8, 2014

And so it begins!

In a week I am going to begin my Whole30 journey.

I have been overweight more or less my entire life.  I know that it wasn't my whole life, because I've seen pictures when I was quite young where I wasn't, but I've always been some version of chubby or curvy (dependent upon my age at the time) my entire life.  It wasn't until recent years, more or less since I was in my early twenties, that I really started to realize it.  Yes, when I was in high school I did know that I wasn't the thinnest girl around, but I never felt as though I was the largest either.  My weight had a tendency to fluctuate depending on how busy I was, what was going on in my life, and so on.  This is still the case today, but it doesn't make too much of a difference in my eyes, given that I am the heaviest that I have ever been.

While I could be generally happy with myself at whatever size, the one thing that I am unhappy with is how it is hurting my health.  I am a relatively healthy person now, but as I creep toward thirty, I can feel the changes and I know that too many of them can be attributed to the excess weight that I carry on a daily basis.  Being from a family with a history of diabetes, this scares me and I am ready to do something about it.  I could sit back and be upset with myself and what I have allowed myself to do to my body (which, admittedly, is what I have been doing the past too many years of my life), but I'm finally ready to do something about it.  I don't just need to do this to become healthy, but I want to -- wanting to do it, I think, is the key.  As much as I know that I need to make changes, it's the desire that will keep me going.

I will begin Whole30 on Saturday, February 15.  I'll admit that I'm nervous!  This is a rather large lifestyle change, but it's one that I'm ready to do.  My cupboards were already rather bare due to a great need to go grocery shopping and I'm excited to fill them with healthy foods, rather than boxes of macaroni and cheese and Ramen.  I'm excited to begin planning meals, researching different recipes, and having fun with experimenting with new foods.  I know that this isn't going to be easy, not even in the slightest.  But I have confidence in myself and have a steady support system that will see me through.

So... here goes nothing!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Jamie! I know you can do this! Mom loves you very much!!

    ReplyDelete