Feb 20, 2014

Day Six - the restaurant challenge

BREAKFAST:  Grapes and cashews
LUNCH:  Leftover chili
SNACK:  Carrots
DINNER:  Chicken/Beef El Zarape w/ guacamole and pico de gallo from El Mezcal

We were supposed to have crazy weather today and I suppose we actually did; it's late February in Wisconsin and it was raining with thunder and lightning near the end of my shift.  Because it is February in Wisconsin, all of that quickly froze and the world became a skating rink and we're supposed to be getting some snow, but all in all -- much better than the 8-10" that they were worried about yesterday.  (Although, I'll admit that I'd prefer snow over ice.  I'm much better at driving in snow.)

Today was my first challenge of going out to eat since starting Whole30.  All of my meals have otherwise been cooked at home, so I was a bit nervous about going to a restaurant and hope that I could find something to eat.  In the end, I was able to find something that tasted all kinds of amazing; I just had to order it with no beans, cheese, or rice.  (Naturally I forgot to ask for it to have no cheese at first and needed to ask them to make it again; I felt like the worst person ever and probably didn't leave a big enough tip.)  In the end, I think that the hardest part was not having two-for-one margaritas.  I've only had to do that once before when I was on a litany of antibiotics for bronchitis.  I made it through, though.  High fives.

All in all, I'm glad that I was able to find something that I liked, because A) it makes me a bit less wary about going to other restaurants and B) I would hate to have to give up Thursdays at El Mez, even if it's just for a few weeks.  The food is great, but the company is even better and it's the latter that I go for.  Okay, I go for the food, too.  :)

In other news, I am officially in the "omg so tired" stage of Whole30.  I felt it slightly yesterday, but today it's just been intense.  There were times I wanted nothing more than to just crawl under my desk and sleep there until 5:30, but managed to resist the urge.  Knowing that it's only temporary is what's getting me through the phase.  There's a light at the end of the tunnel, I just know it.

[picture from here]

No comments:

Post a Comment