Feb 26, 2014

Day Twelve!

BREAKFAST:  Fruit salad (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
LUNCH:  Almonds and a salad with no dressing
DINNER:  Fried eggs with spinach and guacamole

I forgot my lunch again today.  Arrrgh.

The bigger issue today was that I woke up with a pounding headache and absolutely no energy whatsoever.  It truly didn't help that there was someone outside my apartment revving their engine at shortly before 6AM, waking me up out of a dead sleep and leaving me wide awake and terrified that I was being attacked or something.  (I don't know what would be attacking me.  Some sort of car monster?  Who knows.)  But I could tell that I was a different tired than if I had just not gotten enough sleep.  When I got to work, my legs just did not want to climb the one flight of stairs that it took for me to get to my department.  Now, I might be out of shape, but I walk those stairs multiple times every day without getting winded, so this was downright ridiculous.

It didn't take very long to get to the bottom of what was going on, though.  After discussing with my mom, coworkers, and Whit and doing a little bit of digging, this isn't uncommon.  That much I knew, though -- I just didn't expect it when I was nearing the end of week two.  The issue was simple, though: I'm not getting enough good calories and fats.

As I thought about it more, it kind of hit me in the face with how much sense it made.  Whenever I've done diets before, they have always been about counting calories or points and I always hated that.  One of the thing that appealed to me most about the Whole30 challenge was that there wasn't any counting.  You ate until your full and that was that.  What I didn't think about was how I wasn't eating all of the crap I used to eat.  Eating pizza until your full still fills you with a lot of calories.  Eating stuffed green peppers that are stuffed with tomatoes and very lean burger means that there aren't as many calories and when you have them for three meals in a row without any nuts or other foods with good fat for energy, it kind of comes together.

I'm glad that I had a great support system that helped me figure this out.  After work I went to the grocery store and bought some avocados and sweet potatoes.  I'm not a big fan of the latter, but I'm thinking that I might make a kind of hash brown out of them or shred them up to add them into my egg muffins for next week, per some suggestions that I saw on the Whole9 and Whole30 forums.  Getting those good fats in early in the morning helps give a boost of energy.

So my fingers are crossed that I can get my energy levels back into shape soon!  One unfortunate side effect of being so tired has been that I've just been downright cranky and that's not cool.  I don't think I've taken it out on anyone, but I've been a bit whiny and no one wants to deal with that.  At least I can recognize it and try to suppress it, though!


No comments:

Post a Comment